Thursday, April 9, 2009

How Rick and Michele Met

I was emailing with a friend from high school today who asked how Rick and I met and got together. I thought that would make for a fun blog.

Rick started working at the same company as me in January 2004. I think it was Jan 12th or 14th...how do I know? I was the one who approved the invoices for the recruiter. I was checking him out when he first started but didn't really think anything more of that. We became friends, like you do with people you work with and that was all good.

In October Rick finally asked me out...I said No. I wasn't going to go out with someone I worked with. He actually had only asked me to go to lunch with him and I still said no. He asked me a second time and by now I had learned his true age. Initially I thought he was about 35. He was really closer to 45 at the time. I told him that I couldn't date guys closer to my mom's age than my own and I offered to set him up with my mom. He didn't like that so much. I know he asked me out a third time and again I told him no. I told him that I didn't date non-LDS guys.

Christmas came around and Rick bought these awesome gift baskets from a lady who sold stuff at work. I told him that if he gave me one I would go out with him. He didn't like that either.

So here comes February...The Friday before Valentine's day 2005 I was chatting with Rick. He asked if I was going to get lots of flowers and I told him no I wasn't going to be anyone's Valentine. He told me that he really liked sending flowers to girls. I went back to my desk and emailed him and we decided to be each other's Valentine's. There was a lady who sold flowers, balloons and chocolates there at work for Valentine's. I decided to get him a few balloons and some chocolate covered strawberries. I made it very clear I did not want any of the balloons to say love on them. We also decided to go to lunch together...good ol Chili's.

Rick sent to me THE most incredible long stem red roses. Not only were they long stem, there were 2 dozen of them. I was told by many people that day I had the best flowers. (Sorry the photo isn't so great. I didn't have a digital camera by then so I had to use my cell phone camera. Yeah, can you imagine ME without a digital camera?!)
We had a nice lunch and decided to do it again.

Rick and I started talking on the phone every night but I wouldn't let him come to my house. One day in fact I told him that I was going to paint. He offered to come and help. I lied to him and told him that I didn't feel well enough to actually do it that day. I hung up the phone and proceeded to paint. I just wasn't into having a boyfriend and I told him so. In fact the first time he took me out in the evening, I took Marissa with me!

Rick and I continued to go out to lunch together more and more. We would try and go out separately so people wouldn't see us together. Of course some people did cause they had no life and needed something to gossip about but the bosses, they didn't know and that was what mattered.

The first time Rick told me that he loved me we were driving back from lunch at Chili's. I remember I was the one driving and we were driving on the overpass over 215 just north of the E Center. He said, I love you. I said back, "I wish I could say that I do, but I don't." He told me that it was ok because he had been thinking about it a lot longer than I had.

By May Rick and I knew we wanted to get married. We became engaged on July 1st 2005 (another story) and here we are...Married on Dec 14 2006 and happy as could be. (our actual wedding is another story too!)So Rick is one of those who you can't get mad at for having cold feet. He was much more ready for things than I was. I thank Heavenly Father every night and every morning that he was so willing to be patient for me and to put up with my crap. I love you Rick! (Not that he will ever see this unless I send it in an email to him hehehe)

0 comments: