Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our Engagement

Rick and I started officially dating on Valentine's Day 2008. By May and probably even by April we knew we wanted to get married. I picked out my ring, cause Rick is cool like that in May. Rick I think had it in his possession in June. I figured that he was going to ask me sometime during the month of July.

So July 1st we had a long weekend with the 4th of July being on a Sunday. We had decided to go to Logan with Jimmy and Carrie to watch fireworks with Carrie's family at Utah State. Rick and I were driving up alone and Rick said that he needed to stop by the visitor's center at Temple square to pick up some pamphlets for home teaching. I thought, well uh, ok. We parked at Crossroads and walked to the north visitor's center. Rick got what he "needed" and we headed back out. As we were passing the big flower box in the middle somewhat north of the Temple Rick stopped to put the stuff away in his bag and whatever. I sat down on the wall of the flower box. Rick then got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Now I will be honest, I used to remember exactly what he said but right now, I am not positive if he said, "Will you marry me?" or "Will you be my wife?" NO WAIT!!!

He was down on his knee and handed me a card. In it, it said something about a ring, like give me a ring sometime...he wrote in it "Look up" I looked up and that is when he was holding the box with my ring and was on his knee. I still don't remember what he said but of course I said yes and put out my hand for him. He slide my ring on, we kissed and hugged and all was good. I happened to see a couple walking past us watching and smiling. I thought it was great that a couple was able to see us and share our moment even though I have no idea who they were.
I will always remember exactly the spot where Rick proposed. It also happened to be across from a drinking fountain which was designed from my grandpa's tie-tack.

Rick and I headed back to the car then headed to Logan. We watched the fireworks from across the street from the stadium and had a great time with family. I didn't mention being engaged when we first got there but someone noticed my ring and from then on everyone knew. It was a great way to celebrate the 4th.

0 comments: