Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

I love Memorial Day. I always have. I grew up within a few blocks of the Salt Lake Cemetery. Every Memorial Day we went and visited the graves of my great-grandma and my aunt. (My aunt was hit by a car 3 days before my mom turned 14.) Now we have my grandparents right there and so many other relatives I know about including Rick's grandparents.Cemeteries have never been creepy or anything like that for me because of that. In fact, I really like them. I have all sorts of photos of cemeteries in New Orleans and England. I have dragged Rick all over the Salt Lake Valley taking photos of headstones. And one of my favorite places in all of Park City is an old cemetery that is tucked away next to the ski resort.

I feel bad living in apartment and not having flowers I can pick to take to the cemetery for Memorial Day. I miss going out into the yard and picking handfuls of lilies of the valley or cutting snowballs from the trees to put on my family's graves.
I do love thinking of all of the stories I know about these ancestors. All of the trials and suffering they went through for me. I like even more the stories that make me laugh. That show me how real these people were, not just names and dates.
Not only do I like the cemetery and thinking of ancestors, let us not forget the most important part:


Memorial day is the opening of our swimming pool! W00T!

0 comments: